5 months after fire, UNCG students move into Spartan Village

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- UNC-Greensboro’s Spartan Village opened to students Wednesday, five months after a fire destroyed one of the buildings under construction.

The mix-use development includes four residence halls, a gym and faculty housing. Students will be able to move in to three of the dorms throughout the week.

Officials announced in July that a propane heater likely started the four-alarm blaze at the Highland Residence Hall.

No injuries were reported, but the structure was a total loss with an estimated $11 to 12 million in damage.

Construction resumed this summer on the last dorm and will finish this winter.