Boone motel to reopen after carbon monoxide deaths

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Credit: WSOC)

BOONE, N.C. — The Boone motel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning has been cleared to reopen, according to The Charlotte Observer.

The paper reported that a limited certificate of occupancy was issued Thursday to the Best Western Plus Blue Ridge Plaza.

Daryl Dean Jenkins and Shirley Mae Jenkins of Washington state died at the motel on April 16. On June 8, 11-year-old Jeffrey Lee Williams of Rock Hill, S.C., died in the same room.

All three guests died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials have blamed a faulty pool heater for sending lethal levels of carbon monoxide into the room.

The motel is currently for sale. Building inspector Todd Miller said the room where the deaths occurred won’t be used.

Watauga County Medical Examiner Dr. Brent Hall resigned after the deaths and has not spoken about the case publicly.

Read more: The Charlotte Observer