Fire marshal releases ruling in death of Lexington swimmer

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEXINGTON, N.C. — The Davidson County Fire Marshal Office has released the final ruling of what caused a power line to fall near the Brookside Swim Club and electrocute an 11-year-old girl in a pool.

Davidson County Fire Marshal Brad Needham said for an undetermined reason, a power pole connector, which holds the power lines up, broke and caused the line to fall, sending an electrical current through saturated ground toward the pool.

Lauren Cecil died as a result of the incident. She was in the pool at Brookside along with two other girls when the electric line snapped and fell near the parking lot shortly after 8 p.m. Tuesday.

City Manager Alan Carson said Lexington Utilities, which is run by the city of Lexington, would not comment on Needham’s ruling until they see the fire marshal’s final report.

More coverage:

Friends, family honor 11-year-old electrocuted in neighborhood pool

Gil, 11, electrocuted after electric line falls near Lexington pool