Boone hotel death probe expands to other businesses

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

BOONE, N.C. -- A police investigation into a Boone hotel where three people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in the same room this year has now expanded to two other hotels operated by the same management company.

The Charlotte Observer reported that all the hotels under investigation are owned by the same company.

These hotels include the Best Western where three people died and the County Inn & Suites and Sleep Inn, all in Boone.

Jeffrey Lee Williams, 11, and his mother were found unresponsive in their second-story room at the Best Western at 840 E. King St. on June 8.

Williams was the third person to die in the room in about two months. His mother was hospitalized, but has since been released and is recovering.

On April 16, police said two elderly people, Shirley and Daryl Jenkins, were found dead in the same room, 225.

Officials have blamed a faulty pool heater for sending lethal levels of carbon monoxide into the room.

AJD Investments owns the hotels and they are managed by Appalachian Hospitality Management.

Management company president Damon Mallatere referred questions from the newspaper to his attorney, who did not respond.

Watauga County Medical Examiner Dr. Brent Hall resigned after the last death and has not spoken about the case publically. The hotel has since closed.

Read more: The Charlotte Observer

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.