Autopsy: Ric Flair’s son died of heroin overdose
MECKLENBURG COUNTY, N.C. — The son of Charlotte pro wrestling legend Ric Flair died of a heroin overdose, according to an autopsy report.
WBTV reported that the autopsy report was released by the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner’s office on Friday. Heroin toxicity was listed as the cause of death.
Richard Reid Fliehr was found dead in a south Charlotte hotel room on March 29 on Piedmont Row Drive South around 10:30 a.m. He was 25.
Police said they were called to the hotel after Reid Fliehr was found unresponsive. Police sources said at the time of his death, there were signs of drug activity in the hotel room.
Reid Fliehr also reportedly had traces of clonazepam, a muscle relaxant, and alprazolam, an anti-anxiety drug commonly marketed as Xanax.
Like his father, Reid Fliehr was a wrestler. He had been wrestling for All Japan Pro-Wrestling in Japan under the name “Reid Flair,” according to his Twitter page.
His father, “Nature Boy” Ric Flair – whose real name is Richard Morgan Fliehr – has a professional career spanning more than 40 years. He is considered one of the greatest professional wrestlers ever.
“Today is a very tough day for me and my family,” Richard Fliehr told WBTV shortly after his son died.