Investigators: Multiple deficiencies found in Boone hotel pool heater

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Credit: WSOC)

BOONE, N.C. —A faulty pool water heater was the source of carbon monoxide that killed an 11-year-old boy at a North Carolina motel last weekend and a couple who slept in the same room about two months earlier, according to WSOC.

In a press conference Wednesday evening, Boone Police said preliminary test results that found elevated levels of carbon monoxide originated from the pool water heater which is located in the pool mechanical room underneath Room 225, where the gas killed Jeffrey Williams,11, on Saturday. 73-year-old Daryl Dean Jenkins and 72-year-old Shirley Mae Jenkins died in the same room two months ago.

Police Chief Dana Crawford said the exhaust systems for the pool heater had multiple deficiencies and corrosion.

Crawford said inspectors found several avenues of carbon monoxide into the room, including the wall-mounted HVAC unit that fed into an opening of a gas fireplace.

Police said the investigation to acquire a definitive answer will continue.

Investigators are urging anyone who stayed in Room 225 to call police at 828-268-6900 or email matt.stevens@townofboone.net.

More at: WSOC

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.