Winston-Salem couple wants answers after dogs poisoned

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- A Winston-Salem couple wants to know who poisoned their two rescue dogs and why.

Neil Chase said he let the dogs out after he returned to his Ardmore neighborhood home from work on Friday.

He said he noticed one of the dogs – Einstein – was eating something in the corner of their backyard.

Chase said it was a mixture of bacon, cheese, dog treats and loads of rat poison.

“I don’t know what kind of person does this,” said Sarah Franzhiem, dog owner. “They are a very sick individual. I’m just blown away that someone would do this.”

The couple said they took both dogs to the vet within about 30 minutes of eating the poison.

Chase said Einstein ate more than Toby, who was able to come home the same night.

He said Einstein needed to get a blood transfusion, plasma transfusion and was checked in for more than 24 hours, racking up a vet bill of more than $2,000.

The couple said both dogs are now home and feeling better.

“Our sense of security has been shattered,” Franzhiem said. “We don’t want to suspect anybody but at the same time we have to be very cautious now.”

The owners said they are not letting their dogs roam around. They said they take them out only on leashes after they’ve scoped things out around the yard.

Forsyth animal control officials said they are looking into the issue.

The owners said they are offering a reward for any information leading to the person who did this.

They said they have no idea who could have done this, as their neighbors are also dog owners.

“These are so much more than dogs,” Franzhiem said. “They’re members of our family.”

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.