Watch Live: Judiciary Committee to debate articles of impeachment against Pres. Donald Trump
Weather closings and delays

Siblings help save grandparents from Greensboro house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Data pix.

GREENSBORO, N.C.-- Firefighters battled flames at a house fire in Greensboro at 2208 Vanstory Drive Thursday afternoon.

Authorities believe the fire started in the basement.

Two adults, two children and a dog escaped.

One of those children, 10-year-old Shayla Stewart tried to go back into the home to save her 13-year-old dog, Buddy, but the smoke was too heavy.

Quinlan, her 13-year-old brother ran into the home and started helping his grandmother, Faye McKeel and his grandfather Luke McKeel, get out safely, but not before shouting instructions to his sister.

"He told me to come out of the house. So I did and I was hoping Buddy would come out somehow and then my neighbor, Jackie, she's right there, she helped my dog get out and my grandparents get out of the house," Shayla said.

Shayla's brother, dog and grandparents made it out of the house safe.

"If I go back to school tomorrow my teachers probably going to ask me where's your homework. I'm gonna say I had a fire yesterday and my book bag, my homework and everything that was in it just burned down because I had a fire," Shayla said.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.