Boston Police deny report suspect arrested in bombings
Investigators in Washington and Boston denied Wednesday that an arrest had been made in the bombing of the Boston Marathon. They had earlier said there was “substantial” progress in the case.
There is conflicting information as to whether someone has been arrested in connection with the Boston Marathon bombings.
A federal law enforcement source told CNN’s Fran Townsend that someone was arrested. But later, two senior administration officials and another federal official told Townsend that there had been a misunderstanding among officials and that no one has been arrested.
Several media outlets reported earlier in the day that a suspect had been identified from surveillance video taken at a Lord & Taylor store between the sites of the two bomb blasts.
A law enforcement official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press that a suspect was in custody. The official, who was not authorized to divulge details of the investigation, said the suspect was expected in federal court.
However, the FBI and the U.S. attorney’s office in Boston said no arrests had been made.
Special Agent Greg Comcowich, who works for the FBI Boston Division, issued this statement on Wednesday:
“Contrary to widespread reporting, no arrest has been made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack. Over the past day and a half, there have been a number of press reports based on information from unofficial sources that has been inaccurate. Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting.”
However, around 2:30 p.m., Boston Police tweeted:
“Despite reports to the contrary there has not been an arrest in the Marathon attack.”