Authorities: Man injured in Greensboro house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- One man is in the hospital and a family’s home is badly damaged after a fire in Greensboro early Thursday morning.

Authorities said the fire occurred around 2:30 a.m. at a home on Merritt Drive near High Point Road.

Fire officials said three adults were inside during the fire, two of which got out safely. They said the third, a 41-year-old man, was hospitalized with burns.

Authorities said the victim’s dad and sister were sleeping when the fire started. The fire investigator said the smoke alarm woke them up, allowing both to get out uninjured.

Greensboro Fire investigator H.W. DeLancey said the fire started because an electric space heater was placed too close to a bed.

Authorities said the victim has been moved to the Burn Center at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and is stable but still has serious injuries.

Firefighters repeatedly said had it not been for three smoke detectors operating properly in the home, this would have been a deadly fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.