Dangers of using space heaters

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

During cold winter nights, many people are plugging in electric space heaters.

One man's space heater turned out to be deadly in Wilkes County on Wednesday night, when he had at least three heaters running in his home.

For those who are using space heaters, firefighters say you should make sure they have a labratory rating, and they are plugged directly into the wall and not running them off an extension cord.

If you are using a heater that uses any type of fuel, fill the heater outside, because even a small spill could fuel a fire that could quickly get out of control.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.