SC principal warns of kids inhaling powdered candy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

FOUNTAIN INN, S.C. — A South Carolina principal has reportedly warned parents that some students have been inhaling powdered candy.

According to FOX Carolina, Fountain Inn Elementary School principal Glenn Wile sent letters to the homes of parents on Tuesday.  The letters warned parents that children have been inhaling certain candies like Fun Dip and Smarties.

The principal is calling the behavior inappropriate, saying it won’t be tolerated, FOX Carolina reports.

Wile tells FOX Carolina that students were crushing up Smarties before “sucking them in, creating a puff of smoke,” the station reports.

School staff reportedly began noticing children’s behavior about a week and a half ago.

The parents of 31 kids have been called concerning the behavior, the principal told FOX Carolina.

Adam Brickner, the director of a Greenville drug rehabilitation center, tells FOX Carolina it’s important to raise awareness with such a matter.

“The Smarties dust is not the concern,” Bricker told FOX Carolina.  “The concern is the behavior of the children.”

Brickner said the children are “emulating risky adult behaviors.”

Read more:

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.