Twenty displaced after Greensboro apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Twenty people are out of their homes after a fire damaged a Greensboro apartment complex late Wednesday night.

Greensboro apartment fire noticeFirefighters responded around 11:30 p.m. to the Mallard Lake Apartments at 2911 Cottage Place off Lawndale Drive, where the two-alarm fire damaged eight units.

Officials determined the blaze started as a grease fire while a resident was cooking. 

Deputy Chief Todd Lynch said the resident has stepped away from the fire  for a moment and when he came back the stove was on fire.

Chief Clarence Hunter says the resident extinguished the fire in their apartment, but it spread upward through the vents and into other units. 

"This resident did smother the fire,he thought he had had it out but the damage had already happened," Lynch said.

Lynch said the eight units have both fire and flood damage. The flames spread through the inner wires within the walls.

Roof damage was visible and the strong stench of smoke was in the air Thursday morning.

Complex staff and seven Red Cross volunteers relocated displaced families to other units in the complex, providing cots, blankets and food.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.