FOX8/WGHP telethon raises over $122,000 for hurricane victims – help still needed

Space heater blamed for fire at boarding house in High Point

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(WGHP Photo)

HIGH POINT, N.C. — Firefighters say one person was taken to the hospital after a fire at a boarding home in High Point. 

A High Point Fire Department spokeswoman says the fire was reported around 2:30 a.m. at 107 Oakwood St.

Boarding house resident Richard Gelzer says he started waking up his neighbors after hearing the smoke detectors. 

“I heard the smoke detector and I jumped out of bed.  I came outside with the extinguisher and broke the window and sprayed into the fire,” Gelzer said. 

The fire department spokeswoman said an officer and an occupant of the home were injured.  The officer was treated at the scene for minor smoke inhalation, she said.

The occupant was taken to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.  The spokeswoman identified the victim as an adult male, but she did not have his name or condition. 

“(He) was on fire,” Gelzer said.  “He was just sitting there moaning.” 

The fire was caused by a space heater that was “too close to a combustible,” according to the spokeswoman.   

Other occupants of the house were allowed to return inside because the fire was contained to a single unit, the spokeswoman said. 

No other information was immediately available.