Perdue moves $20M to expand NC Pre-K to 6,300 more
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — Gov. Beverly Perdue is moving again into disputed territory with the Republican-led Legislature, shifting $20 million to accommodate up to another 6,300 youngsters by January in the state’s pre-kindergarten academic enrichment program.
Perdue said Thursday she is reallocating projected spare funds.
A state appeals court ruled nearly two months ago that any at-risk 4-year-old whose parents seek admission to the North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten program must be admitted. The court stopped short of requiring a sharp expansion of the program to include every needy child.
Republicans lawmakers cut funding by 20 percent and renamed the program previously called More At Four. GOP leaders said they wanted to appeal this summer’s court ruling.
Spokesmen for the top Republican lawmakers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
This article was provided by The Associated Press. (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)