Explosion levels Colorado home, residents throughout city feel blast

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CASTLE ROCK, Colo. — Fire crews were responding to an explosion in the Castle Rock area that leveled a house on Friday morning.

Castle Rock Fire confirmed that a house in the 6900 block of Sulfur Lane had been completely leveled as a result of the explosion, but that there were no flames as of 7:45 a.m.

Homeowners across the city reported feeling the shock waves from the blast, with one woman claiming her home shook despite being five miles away.

Neighbors in the immediate area reported smelling natural gas before the explosion and seeing insulation raining down throughout the Sapphire Point neighborhood as fire crews began arriving shortly after 7 a.m..

There was no confirmation about what caused the explosion, though police scanner traffic indicated it may have been a natural gas explosion and could have been caused by a microwave.

Though it has not been confirmed, we are getting reports from witnesses who have said five people — one adult and four children — were taken to the hospital after the blast.

Those potential injuries may be minor, though, because another witness told us the entire family was able to escape before the explosion.

There was no official report on injuries as of 8:10 a.m.

By , KDVR.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.