Randolph Co. deputy injured in shooting may return to work this week

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Detective Jonathan Chriscoe and Deputy Edward Slafky (left to right) (Photos courtesy: Randolph County Sheriff's Office)

RANDLEMAN, N.C. — Officials said one of the Randolph County deputies shot and injured in the line of duty last month may return to work this week.

The Greensboro News & Record reported that Detective Jonathan Chriscoe, 33, could be released from medical care after a doctor’s appointment Tuesday, said Chief Deputy Fred Rutledge.

Deputies said the shooting happened during a traffic stop near where U.S. 311 crosses with U.S. 220 around 2:30 p.m. Aug. 27.

The suspect was wanted in connection with a series of home invasions and serious assaults, including one involving an elderly woman.

There was an exchange of gunfire and two deputies were wounded, Jonathan Chriscoe and Edward Slafky, 38, according to Sheriff Maynard Reid.

Sheriff Reid said the suspected gunman, who was identified as 36-year-old Jamey Lee Ashley, ran into a nearby wooded area after the shooting.

He was arrested within one mile of where the shootings took place following a nearly four-hour manhunt.

Authorities said Chriscoe was wounded in his upper left chest area and Slafky was shot once in his right chest and once in his right leg.

Chriscoe was released from UNC Hospitals shortly after the shooting but has since been unable to return to work and has been on sick leave, officials said.

Read more: The Greensboro News & Record.