NC school evacuated after students exposed to mercury
LENOIR, N.C. — An elementary school in Lenoir was evacuated after four children were exposed to mercury on Wednesday afternoon.
Officials said a child brought a vial of mercury to Whitnel Elementary School and it spilled on the floor of a fifth-grade classroom Wednesday morning. The amount spilled was “roughly the size of a dime,” officials told WSOC.
The four children exposed to the mercury were decontaminated and taken to a local hospital for observation.
The rest of the students were taken to nearby Whitnel Central Baptist where they could be picked up by their parents.
No other information was made available.