Five displaced in Winston-Salem apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — Five adults and two children were displaced from their home after an apartment fire officials said was caused by cooking Wednesday morning in Winston-Salem.

Officials said the blaze was reported around 4:17 a.m. at 371 L Village Crossing Lane and about 22 firefighters had the situation under control within about five minutes.

No injuries were reported. Fire officials said the apartment received an estimated $50,000 in property damage and $10,000 in content damage.

Officials said all fire damage was contained to the single apartment. Two others received minor smoke and water damage, authorities said.

Authorities said the fire was accidently caused by somebody leaving cooking oil unattended on a stove.

Firefighters said they arrived to find smoke from the apartment’s balcony.

Officials said attack lines were used to put the fire out and a second floor resident was rescued by a ladder.

The victims were handled by the Red Cross and utilities were handled by Duke Energy, fire officials said.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.