‘At-risk’ preschoolers removed from program due to budget cuts

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- Wednesday was the last day for 100 of 629 "at-risk" 4-year-olds in the state's pre-Kindergarten program at the Guilford Child Development Centers. 

The students are being removed due to cuts in state funding and childcare centers and schools across the state. 

"We are now seeing the cuts and we'll see the impact to our children and their family," said Glynnise Highsmith, Program Director of Guilford Child Development Centers. 

"It's the day we dreaded, but you know when we received the news we knew that it was going to be a major impact to our program," Highsmith said. 

State lawmakers cut funding to the program, once call "More at Four," in 2011 -- affecting about 2,000 4-year-olds statewide. 

In her budget released last week, Gov.Bev. Perdue proposed restoring funding to the program.  Her proposal has already come under fire from critics. 

About 40,000 at-risk 4-year-olds are eligible for the program, but can't get in due to cuts in state funding.