WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- The 2012 North Carolina Peace Officers Memorial Day Ceremony sponsored by the N.C. Department of Justice will be held in Winston-Salem on Tuesday, May 8 at 11:00 AM
Each year, North Carolina pays tribute to law enforcement officers who died in the line of duty with a special Peace Officers Memorial Day ceremony. This year’s event will take place at Pinedale Christian Church located at 3395 Peters Creek Parkway in Winston-Salem.
Attorney General Roy Cooper will deliver welcoming remarks. This year’s featured guest speaker is the Thomas G. Walker, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
In particular, this year's ceremony will recognize six officers who died in the line of duty since last year’s ceremony. The officers to be honored include:
- Frederick “Fred” A. Thornton, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department;
- Warren “Sneak” B. Lewis, III, Nash County Sheriff’s Office;
- Elieser “Eli” Colonroche, Sanford Police Department;
- Russell M. Willingham, Jr., Winston-Salem Police Department;
- David Jennings Dawson, III, Greene County Sheriff’s Office; and
- Rick Rhyne, Moore County Sheriff’s Office.