WASHINGTON (CNN) — Three more Secret Service employees have “chosen to resign” in the wake of a prostitution scandal that emerged last week, the agency said in a news release Friday.
Six Secret Service members now have lost their jobs in the wake of the incident in Cartagena, Colombia, which came while they were on a security detail in advance of President Barack Obama’s trip there for the Summit of the Americas.
The agency also announced Friday that a 12th “employee has been implicated.” It had previously said 11 were under investigation.
In addition, the U.S. military is investigating 11 of its own troops for possible involvement.
A source close to the investigation said Secret Service Director Mark Sullivan — who briefed Obama on the investigation Friday, according to White House officials — has ordered a “comprehensive” investigation of everything that happened during the trip.
That includes interviews with every Secret Service member on site, hotel staff and alleged prostitutes, the source said. In addition, the source confirmed that Secret Service agents were staying at a second hotel on the trip — identified as a Hilton hotel in Cartagena — which presumably will be included in the expanded probe.
While soliciting prostitution is in most cases legal for adults in Colombia, military law bars service members from patronizing prostitutes, engaging in conduct unbecoming an officer or, for enlisted personnel, conduct “prejudicial to good order and discipline.” It is also considered a breach of the Secret Service’s conduct code, government sources said.