Peyton Manning to sign with Denver Broncos
DENVER – Denver wins the Peyton Manning Sweepstakes.
Manning has instructed his agent to finalize a deal with the Denver Broncos, sources tell FOX31 Denver. The deal is believed to be in the range of five years and $95 million.
“Peyton Manning called John Elway this morning to tell him he’s looking forward to coming to play for him,” NFL insider Adam Schefter tweeted Monday morning.
FOX31 Denver’s Kami Carmann says a press conference to introduce Manning is expected Tuesday.
The Broncos will now attempt to trade third year quarterback Tim Tebow, Schefter reports.
Manning, 35, spent the past week-and-a-half meeting with several teams publicly and privately, including the Broncos, Arizona Cardinals, Tennessee Titans, San Francisco 49ers and Miami Dolphins.
While he did not speak to the media throughout the interview process, sources close to Manning consistently stated that Denver was at or near the top of his list of possible suitors, in large part because of Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway’s role as team executive vice president.
“I want to thank the whole organization for their efforts in trying to sign Peyton and also to Peyton for the time he put into the process,” said Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams. “Peyton called me this morning to inform me of his decision and obviously I am disappointed, because I thought we would be a perfect fit.”
Over the span of 14 seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, who selected him Number 1 overall in the 1998 draft, Manning has amassed astonishing statistics: 399 touchdown passes, nearly 55,000 passing yards and a career completion percentage of 64.9 percent.
He also holds several dozen NFL records, among them:
- Most consecutive seasons with at least 20 touchdown passes: 13
- Most seasons with at least 4,000 passing yards: 11
- Most fourth quarter comeback wins in one season: 7
- Only QB with at least 12 wins as a starter in 7 consecutive seasons
Manning missed the entire 2011 season while recovering from surgery to alleviate neck pain and arm weakness. The Colts released him earlier this month rather than paying him a $28 million bonus.
Barring a trade, Indianapolis is expected to select Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck with the first overall pick in the 2012 draft.