Cigarette in trash can caused deadly apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

KERNERSVILLE, N.C. — A smoldering cigarette in a trash can started the apartment fire Tuesday that killed an older Kernersville woman and her dog, authorities said Thursday.

Sue Dorothy Morris, 74, and her dog, Sarge, a 9-year-old beagle mix, died in the fire, which severely damaged Morris’ apartment at 4114 Abbotts Lake Court in southeastern Kernersville.

The cigarette found in the trash can in Morris’ bedroom caused the fire, said Tim Swaim, Kernersville’s fire marshal. Morris had lived in the apartment for five or six years, he said.

Swaim said he was awaiting the results of an autopsy performed on Morris’ body at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center earlier this week.

Firefighters found Morris and her dog inside the burning apartment, authorities said. The fire, which started shortly after 8:15 a.m., was contained to Morris’ apartment, causing more than $75,000 in damage.

This article was written by John Hinton and originally published by The Winston-Salem Journal. Click here to read more.