Occupy Charlotte attacks city’s no-camping law

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Occupy Charlotte members are waiting the weekend for a judge to decide whether the city’s new anti-camping ordinance violates constitutional rights or is reasonable ahead of the Democratic National Convention.

The Charlotte Observer reports that Superior Court Judge Forrest Bridges said he’s rule on whether to strike down the ordinance after reviewing documents and arguments from a hearing Friday.

Police last month dismantled most of the Occupy Charlotte protest site on the lawn of the old City Hall, arresting seven and ripping up tents erected last fall.

An attorney for the group argued in court the law violates free speech and assembly rights.

City Attorney Bob Hagemann told the judge the ordinance does not interfere with the right to demonstrate, they just can’t camp out on the grounds.

___

Information from: The Charlotte Observer

This story was written and provided by The Associated Press Wire.  (Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)