FOX 8 WGHP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status or any other legally protected classification in accordance with federal, state and local law.
Reporter/MMJ – Regular Full Time
A top-rated FOX affiliate is looking for that next great reporter. You have to like telling great stories, working with award-winning photojournalists, and using the hottest/newest television technology. Bringing the energy every day to do creative live shots and standups is a must. You also need to be a social butterfly able to Facebook, tweet, and Instagram at a moment’s notice with engaging content. If this sounds like you, then what are you waiting for, apply for our reporter opening.
Duties include planning, researching, writing, and reporting (both live and taped), as well as personal appearances on behalf of the station.
Candidate must have a minimum of 2 years of television news experience.
Photojournalist – Regular Full Time
WGHP/FOX 8, Tribune Media’s FOX affiliate serving the Piedmont area of North Carolina has a unique opportunity available for a seasoned photojournalist to join our team.
We are looking for an individual with a good attitude and excellent people skills. Teamwork with a reporter is essential, but some days you may gather the news solo. Must be able to work under deadline pressure, demonstrate solid ethical news judgment and have excellent communication skills.
Our photojournalists must be able to shoot, produce and edit creative television news stories on high definition broadcast equipment. Must be capable of learning how to operate an SNG/microwave live truck. Must understand basic NPPA storytelling, shooting, lighting and editing techniques. Be willing to work hard, tolerate flexible scheduling, including weekends, and like to have fun.
High school diploma required, college degree preferred. Must have a valid driver’s license and maintain a clean driving record. Previous ENG experience preferred.
Master Control Operator – Regular Full Time
WGHP/FOX 8 has an opening for a Master Control Operator. The successful candidate will operate state of the art broadcast equipment including but not limited to automated on-air playback systems, satellite receiving equipment and server-based media storage systems. Must be a highly motivated individual with heavy emphasis on digital media, FTP protocol, and file movement from in-house and out of house networks.
Oversee transmitter remote, take transmitter readings, and make remote adjustments to transmitter as needed. Must communicate effectively with all station departments. Must make quick decisions and have the ability to react quickly to changing conditions. Must be able to precisely write discrepancy reports daily and maintain written documentation of daily events and errors during assigned shifts. Regularly assesses audio and video (visually and audibly) content of on-air signal for quality and conformity to on-air look. Attend and participate in department meetings, safety meetings and training. Operator may assist in training other operators in attaining new skills or training new employees on station specific equipment and operations. Effectively communicate with other departments regarding on-air and operational situations. Occasionally moves throughout the station and the department to coordinate work requirements.
Good computer skills a must. High school diploma required and college degree preferred. Prefer candidates that have 1-2 years’ experience as a Master Control Operator.
Producer, Executive – Evening, Regular Full Time
Aggressive, competitive, and boundary-testing; those are the three traits we’re looking for in the next FOX8 Evening Executive Producer. Win breaking news and telling great stories each day, it’s what we are all about here at FOX8. You have to have the vision to use all of our storytelling tools to put on an informative and entertaining news product. You will manage all aspects of the 5, 6, and 10 p.m. newscasts, so great communications skills is a must. So if you want to join a top-notch staff of journalists, you want to use all the latest toys, and you have a good sense of humor, what are you waiting for? Apply.
- Overall responsibility for newscasts, including oversight on story selection, content, and production
- Work with team to create innovative news content; able to think differently and critically
- Collaborate with Editors, Producers and the assignment desk to select stories for coverage
- Step in and write, edit and produce as needed
- Develop and supervise effective workflow strategies and procedures for multiple programs
- Provide regular feedback on newscast with staff, both as a team and individually
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3 years previous news producing experience
- Supervisory experience highly preferred
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work in a rapid, fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work flexible schedule – nights, weekends, holidays
Associate Producer – Regular Full Time (2 positions available)
WGHP/FOX 8 is looking for a person with a passion for writing and a nose for news. This individual will assist newscast producers with all elements of putting together a newscast including writing and researching stories. Will work with all aspects of the production of a newscast, including coordination with the production staff and graphic artists. Could be assigned overnight and weekend shifts. Will perform other duties as assigned.
This is a training position with expectations to become a newscast producer who will fill-in as needed. Must be an excellent writer, focusing on matching script to video. Must have outstanding spelling, grammar, and copy editing skills. Must be able to work flexible schedule. Broadcast and other related news experience preferred. Must have good news judgment and know current events. Requires strong communications and people skills. Must be detail-oriented, organized, and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment within specific time constraints.
Requirements: College degree required. Must be proficient with PC and industry-specific software.
General Assignment Reporter – Regular Full Time
WGHP, Tribune Media’s FOX affiliate serving the Piedmont area of North Carolina is recruiting for a dynamic reporter who will break stories, do creative live shots, and enterprise great pkgs. We have award-winning photojournalists, all the best equipment and 10.5 hours of local news to fill a day. We’re seeking someone who can quickly become immersed in the community to develop and maintain a story source network. Duties include planning, researching, writing, and reporting (both live and taped), as well as personal appearances on behalf of the station. The job requires solid journalism skills and a strong knowledge of national and international events, as well as keeping up on all local stories. Must be able to deal effectively with people, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and work accurately and efficiently under pressure.
Candidate must demonstrate proficiency with live news technology, creative production techniques, and newsroom computers, have a minimum of 2 years of television news experience, and be a strong live reporter with excellent writing and storytelling skills.
College degree required, with a preferred major in journalism.
Maintenance Technician (Regular Full Time)
WGHP/FOX is recruiting for a skilled maintenance technician to join our team. This position is an integral part of our engineering staff.
The essential functions of this position are:
- Install, maintain and repair television equipment, systems and installations, including but not limited to routing and switching systems, studio equipment, receivers and links, recorders and players, edit systems, live vehicles, RF and ENG/SNG equipment. A working knowledge of high powered TV transmitters is a plus.
- Understand and use technical manuals to complete maintenance duties.
- Use diagnostic equipment and test and measurement equipment, as required, to complete maintenance duties.
- Work effectively and courteously with other departments to solve equipment and operational problems. Ascertain and satisfy other departments’ needs for service.
- Order parts as required and approved for repair and maintenance of broadcast equipment.
- Provide documentation, as required. Documentation may include, but is not limited to, technical drawings, databases, repair logs, procedures, purchase orders and parts account reconciliation.
- Moves throughout the station and the department to ascertain and coordinate other departments’ needs.
- Required to ensure timely repair of equipment.
- Regularly set up, adjust, assemble, control, test and operate station equipment to meet engineering department requirements. Much of today’s technical equipment is computer based. Therefore all applicants must have a thorough knowledge of computer systems.
- Required to keep skill sets and knowledge current in existing and emerging technologies.
- Must be proficient with word processing software and job specific software such as databases, terminal and control programs. Most of the WGHP drawings are done on AutoCAD. The applicant must be proficient with this program.
- Must be able to push a cart with equipment on it.
- Must notify the Manager of Engineering or VP, Engineering and Operations of any accident involving personal injury or station vehicles, no matter how minor.
- Must respond to all pages and phone calls as required by supervisor or schedule.
- Attend and participate in department meetings, safety meetings and training.
- Regularly bends, stoops and crouches to arrange, lift and transport engineering related equipment.
- Occasionally drives automobile for long periods of time to perform job-related activities.
- Regularly receives and gives information and instruction via telephone and e-mail to station personnel or outside vendors.
Any other duties as may be assigned by the Manager of Engineering or VP, Engineering and Operations.
Must have a high school diploma or equivalent education. One to three years experience required; broadcast television experience preferred. Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including overtime and varied hours, holidays and weekends as required. Must be prepared to occasionally work outside in adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow and extreme heat or cold. Must be able to lift and carry eighty (80) pounds (using hand truck or pushcart) and with hands lift and carry equipment, traverse walking distances, stairs and rough terrain to complete essential job functions
Travel as required to remote production site, translator and transmitter sites.
FOR CONSIDERATION – Interested candidates should apply online here. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
If you are an organization that would like to be added to the distribution list for the FOX 8 Job Openings, please contact us at TWilkins@Tribunemedia.com or call (336) 821-1204. You may also write us at:
FOX 8 WGHP
Attn: FOX 8 Jobs
2005 Francis St
High Point, NC 27263