Man, 22-month-old son airlifted after house fire in Ruffin

RUFFIN, N.C. -- Judy Scott says it's hard looking at what's left of her neighbor's home.

"There were fire trucks all in my yard,” Scott said. “That's when I saw the flames."

She lives on Quick Road in Ruffin where her neighbor 30-year old Stephen Shane Lucas and his son were burned, running out of their home after it a fire ripped through it.

"When I stepped out, the flames were as tall as the trees," Scott said.

Investigators say Stephen was in the bathroom with his son when the fire sparked.

When he opened the door, there was heavy smoke and flames throughout the house.

"He grabbed his 22-month-old and he ran out the door," Rockingham County Fire Marshal Robert Cardwell said.

Firefighters say the father drove to the Ruffin Volunteer Fire Department where he and his son were airlifted to the hospital with burns.

"The occupant here did the right thing and that was to get out as quick as possible," Cardwell said.

Neighbors like Scott say the family had just finished doing renovations to the home which is now a total loss.

"I feel for him,” Scott said. “I just hope him and the child will be OK."

The child’s mother Abby Lucas works at Cone Health’s Women's hospital where co-workers have already collected $4,000 for the family, a microwave, clothes and found them a place to stay.

An account has been set up at HealthShare Credit Union in care of Abby Lucas.

Anyone who wants to help can contact:

C/O Abby Lucas

Healthshare Credit Union

1200 North Elm Street

Greensboro, NC 27401