Man dies after birthday candles ignite condo fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A man was killed after his birthday candles started a fire that destroyed a condo in New York Saturday night, WABC reports.

Anthony Carter, 62, was killed around 11 p.m. after the candles sparked the blaze, officials say. The man's 9-year-old son tried to save him by calling out to neighbors, who grabbed a hose and tried to put out the fire, according to PIX11.

The boy was taken to a local hospital where he is being treated for minor burns and smoke inhalation. He is in stable condition.

Carter was a professor at the University of New Haven and was described as being a good man.

"He was like a father figure to us, honestly. He was a college professor, and he used to tell us 'if you need a recommendation to college' - he always used to help us," Eli Herrera told WABC.