WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- The City of Winston-Salem released an urgent alert Wednesday night regarding kerosene purchased at a local convenience store.
Anyone who purchased kerosene from the Akron Market Citgo station, located at 3890 Glenn Ave., in the last 10 days should not use it, the city said.
According to Jeff Heitman, Winston-Salem Fire Department division chief, the kerosene tank was filled with gasoline on Jan. 2.
Heitman said his understanding is that the station sold 30 gallons to a total of six people since the mix-up.
A fire at house on Doris Avenue Wednesday led Winston-Salem fire to the mix-up at Akron Market.
Gasoline has the potential to explode if, for instance, someone used it in their kerosene heater.