Dog uses body to shield owner from flames during house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Red Paw Emergency Relief Team Facebook

PORT RICHMOND, Pa. — This little guy is truly man’s best friend.

A 10-year-old dog is being hailed as a hero after he saved his owner from a house fire early Sunday morning, according to WPVI.

At about 4:30 a.m., neighbors awoke to Che’s barking. Surprised to hear him barking so early, the couple got up to see what was going on.

That’s when they noticed the flames.

When firefighters arrived, they found Che lying on top of her owner, Andrea Bulat, who was unconscious from smoke inhalation.

“The dog stayed on her chest the whole time, which prevented her from being burned totally,” said neighbor Adele Butler.

Red Paw Emergency Relief Team posted a picture of Che on Facebook Monday, saying they’re “very optimistic” about his condition.

Bulat is currently in critical condition and the fire is under investigation.