GREENSBORO, N.C. – For four days, a Haitian man living in Greensboro didn't know if his family had survived the hurricane.
His calls and texts weren't going through. Until he finally reached them Friday morning.
"This morning I got an email from my sister," Hildeo Vilnor said. "They lost everything."
Vilnor has been living in Greensboro since the early ‘90s. He's now a familiar face around the food truck scene, as the owner of the King-Queen Haitian Cuisine food truck. Many of his family members still live near Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
"Now everybody's homeless," he said. "They have nowhere to go."
Vilnor said he checks his phone constantly throughout the day. He's found that Facebook is the best way to communicate with people there and see the damage.
"My heart breaks to see people, you look on Facebook, people swimming in the water. Little kids dead in the water,” he said.
Vilnor said many of his family members had not rebuilt fully since the 2010 earthquake. It's hard to be so far away when they need so much help.
"When you're Haitian and in this country, you always try to help your family back home," he said. "We help, but it's not enough."