Closings and delays

Charlotte officer allegedly failed to activate body camera until after Keith Lamont Scott was shot

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

(Warning: Video contains graphic images)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- A responding Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer apparently failed to activate his body camera until after police had already shot 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott, according to the Charlotte Observer.

The department released portions of dashboard camera and body camera footage Saturday afternoon that revealed the moments before and after the shooting, but neither recording gave conclusive evidence into whether Scott had a gun or not.

The lack of evidence poses additional questions into why the responding officer violated department policy and failed to turn his body camera on.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department policy states officers must activate their body cameras before interactions with citizens that involve a suspicious vehicle, traffic stops, arrests and voluntary investigative contact.

The incident

Police said officers were at the apartment complex on Sept. 20 to execute an arrest warrant on a different person.

Officers then saw Scott in the apartment’s parking lot inside an SUV with marijuana and a gun, which police said gave them probable cause for an arrest.

Police said Scott repeatedly ignored their commands to drop his weapon.

“Officer Vinson perceived Mr. Scott’s actions and movements as an imminent physical threat to himself and the other officers,” police said in a news release. “Officer Vinson fired his issued service weapon, striking Mr. Scott. Officers immediately rendered first aid and requested Medic to respond to the scene.”

Scott's widow released cellphone video of the encounter Friday afternoon that showed her plea to the police to not shoot her husband.

The killing sparked three nights of violent protests between Charlotte law enforcement and demonstrators, leading to Gov. Pat McCrory declaring a state of emergency after dozens of injuries and the death of one person.

"Don't shoot him, don't shoot him. He has no weapon, he has no weapon," she's overheard saying repeatedly during the video.

Police have yet to identify the officer who was wearing the body camera.