Charlotte mayor signs curfew order, effective midnight
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts has signed a curfew order in Charlotte which will be in effect from midnight to 6 a.m. until further notice, according to WSOC.
After violent protests raged for the second night in Charlotte, residents were uneasy Thursday as a state of emergency was in effect and National Guard troops arrived.
On Wednesday, police arrested 44 people at the protests, one of which turned into a riot. People smashed windows, looted storefronts and threw objects at others and police.
Wednesday’s protests began peacefully, the chief said, but about 8 p.m. demonstrators began jumping on cars and damaging property at EpiCentre, an entertainment hub uptown. Police were forced to deploy tear gas, he said, and as the night went on, protesters shut down Interstate 277 and the city’s light rail was halted just before midnight, due to the demonstrations.
The violence and vandalism carried on until roughly 3 a.m. The arrests ran the gamut from failing to disperse to assault to breaking and entering, and more arrests may come as authorities review video footage of the protests, he said.
The riots and protests are in response to the shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott who was killed by a police officer at a Charlotte apartment complex earlier this week.