GREENSBORO, N.C. — Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so we’re showing you several options other than a cold bowl of cereal. Pepper Moon Catering in Greensboro is showing us four quick and easy recipes.
Reilly's Favorite french toast:
- 8 large slices hearty white sandwich bread or good-quality challah (we use whole loafs from Harris Teeter and cut the slices thickly on a bias)
- Two cups whole milk warmed in microwave slowly to 80 degrees
- Four large egg yolks
- Four tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted, plus 2 tablespoons for cooking (or more based on preference!)
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- One tablespoon vanilla extract
- Maple syrup
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Place bread on the wire rack set in rimmed baking sheet. Bake bread until almost dry throughout (center should remain slightly moist), about 16 minutes, flipping slices halfway through cooking.
- Whisk milk, yolks, sugar, cinnamon, two tablespoons melted butter, salt, and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Transfer mixture to 13- by 9-inch baking pan.
- Soak bread in milk mixture until saturated but not falling apart, 20 seconds per side. Using firm slotted spatula, pick up bread slice and allow excess milk mixture to drip off; repeat with remaining slices. Place soaked bread on another baking sheet or platter.
- Heat ½ tablespoon butter in 12-inch skillet over medium-low heat. When foaming subsides, use a slotted spatula to transfer two slices soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, three to four minutes. Flip and continue to cook until the second side is golden brown, three to four minutes longer. (If toast is cooking too quickly, reduce temperature slightly.) Transfer to baking sheet in the oven. Wipe out skillet with paper towels. Repeat cooking with remaining bread, two pieces at a time, adding ½ tablespoon of butter for each batch. Serve warm, passing maple syrup separately.
Jalapeno popper egg cups:
- 12 strips bacon
- Eight large eggs
- Four oz. cheddar cheese
- Three oz. cream cheese
- Two jalapenos, de-seeded and chopped
- Two jalapenos, deseeded and sliced into rings
- Two cans ofRotell
- Three cups of stemmed spinach
- One cup of diced mushrooms
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Par-cook bacon so it's semi crisp but still pliable.
- Save bacon grease to add to mixture.
- Saute spinach in bacon grease.
- Saute mushrooms
- In a blend, mix eggs, cream cheese, and jalapenos, garlic powder and onion powder together.
- Drain can of Rotel.
- Grease wells of a muffin tin, then place par-cooked bacon around the edges.
- Pour egg mixture into the wells of the muffin tin.
- Add Rotel, spinach, mushrooms into each cup and mix into egg mixture.
- Do not overfill.
- Add cheddar cheese on the top of the muffin, then a jalapeno ring.
- Cook at 375F for 20-25 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven to let cool.
- Your favorite fillings
- Hot pan
- Pan spray (LOVE new Pam Coconut Oil spray)
- Bacon, eggs and American cheese
- Granny Smith apple and cheddar cheese
- Black Beans, Rotel, and cheddar
- Top with sour cream and/or avocado
- Chopped ham, pineapple, and mozzarella
Possible Ingredients for your smoothie base:
- Frozen fruit – either purchased frozen or you freeze it yourself
- Yogurt or almond milk
- Protein powder
Possible Ingredients for your toppings:
- Fresh fruit – assorted berries, bananas, apples
- Chopped Nuts
- Additional yogurt
- We make our smoothie until we get the consistency we want. From this point, you can either put it in a bowl, or you can freeze it for scooping when you want something more dessert-like
- Put into a bowl, rather than a glass
- Cover with toppings