Scorpion stings employee at Harris Teeter grocery store in North Carolina
RALEIGH, N.C. – A Harris Teeter grocery store employee was stung by a scorpion inside one of the supermarket’s North Carolina locations.
WRAL reported that it recently happened to a worker near the produce section of a Harris Teeter in Cameron Village in Raleigh.
A spokesperson for the grocery store said the scorpion was caught and killed. It’s unclear how the scorpion got inside the store.
The scorpion may have come from another country or from out of state, according to Mike Waldvogel, an extension associate professor of entomology at North Carolina State University.
The professor told WRAL that scorpions sometimes travel from tropical areas by hitching on bananas or other imported produce.
Scorpion stings — although painful — are mostly harmless. About 30 of the estimated 1,500 species of scorpions can inflict potentially fatal stings, according to Mayo Clinic.