Support Salvation Army Wildfire Relief

Officials say piece of heart monitor equipment failed, causing Winston-Salem house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Two devices designed to save lives were inside the same Winston-Salem home. Officials say a piece of one failed, causing a fire. However, the other did its job.

It was shortly after 3:30 Wednesday morning. A 4-year-old, a 20-year-old and another woman were inside their rented home on Reynolda Road, according to their landlord, when a fire broke out.

“The whole place could have been engulfed,” said that landlord, Jeff White. “The smoke could have been disastrous if they didn’t wake up.”

Firefighters determined that an electrical cord from a Boston Scientific Latitude heart monitor failed, causing the fire.

“That’s pretty shocking,” White said. “That’s sort of a -- that’s a real problem.”

The device that did the saving was a working smoke detector, which woke up the occupants and allowed them to safely exit the home.

“It’s very rare to have a fire, but occasionally you do, so I’m very glad that the batteries were good,” White added.

A Boston Scientific spokesperson sent FOX8 a statement saying, “Boston Scientific has a robust quality system and dedication to patient safety. We have received no reports or complaints related to fires and the LATITUDE™ family of remote patient monitoring systems.”