Child Protective Services worker in Texas accidentally locks toddler in hot car
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas — A Child Protective Services worker in Texas accidentally locked a child inside a hot vehicle Monday morning.
According to KZTV, the incident occurred at the Texas Department of Family and Protective Services office, where the temperature was measured at 95 degrees.
The employee put the child into the car and dropped her car keys inside the then-locked vehicle, but immediately ran inside to ask a police officer for help.
Noticing the boy was drenched in sweat, the officer busted the window out to retrieve the child.
“Within a short period of time, a locked vehicle can easily get over 100 degrees and children, unfortunately, are not made to deal with the environment as much as an adult is,” Corpus Christi Fire Department Capt. Jeff Durrwachter told KZTV. “So, they can overheat very quickly.”
Paramedics say the boy is expected to be okay and has been turned over to CPS.