GREENSBORO, N.C. — Some of North Carolina’s best chefs will face off next week as the NC Competition Dining Series makes its way to Greensboro.
The competition is a single-elimination tournament that takes top-notch local talent and combines it with some of the state’s best foods.
Michael Harkenreader, chef de cuisine at The Undercurrent Restaurant and upcoming series competitor, let FOX8’s Shannon Smith into some of his plans for the competition next week.
Chilled Cucumber Soup (makes 2 quarts)
- 2.5 cucumbers
- 1 Tbsp. Salt
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 ea. lemon juice
- Partially peel the cucumber, dice it and toss with the salt and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Add the cucumber, salt and lemon juice to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Wisk in yogurt and sour cream. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Grilled Shrimp-Fennel Salad
- ¼# pamlico sound shrimp – cleaned and grilled
- ¼ cup fennel frawns, chopped
- ½ cup fennel, shaved
- 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tarragon, chopped
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. light vinegar, like white balsamic, cider or moscatel
- 1 ea. lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the shrimp with oil, salt and pepper. Grill the shrimp until just cooked.
- Toss the remaining ingredient in a bowl then add the shrimp.
- Serve on top of the cucumber soup.
James Patterson, executive chef of Sedgefield Country Club, and NC Dining Series competitor showed us some several tasty dishes.
Summer Peach and Heirloom Tomato Gazpacho
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 6 heirloom tomatoes, seeded and finely diced (seeds and juices reserved)
- 1 english cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and finely diced
Directions: (Makes 8-10 servings)
- In a blender, combine 2 cups tomato juice, half of the tomatoes, half of the Cucumber, and half of the Bell Pepper.
- Puree until smooth, then pour into large bowl.
- Stir in remaining tomatoes, cucumber, and bell pepper; add red onion, mint, cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, green onion, jalapeno, and garlic.
- Transfer 1 cup of the mixture back to the blender.
- Add 2 cups tomato juice and puree.
- Pour back into the mixture in the large bowl, add reserved tomato seeds, juices and stir to combine.
- Stir in the diced peaches and season with sea salt and white pepper to taste.
- Chill until serving.
The competition takes place on June 20-21 and will be held in the Empire Room of the Elm Street Center.