Sex-for-rent accusations prompt lawsuit against NC public housing agency

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

HICKORY, N.C. — A lawsuit filed in federal court alleges that a former Hickory public housing administrator sexually harassed and threatened five women, according to The Charlotte Observer.

In the lawsuit, Montele Burton is accused of offering to pay tenants’ rent in exchange for sexual favors.

The women also claim the Hickory Public Housing Authority repeatedly ignored their complaints regarding Burton’s advances.

According to The Charlotte Observer, one woman said Burton stalked her, while another said he offered to pay her rent in exchange for sexual favors.

The complaints became public last year when the paper reported about some of the allegations. Two women admitted to performing sexual favors because they needed the money.

Burton resigned from his position in February of 2015 while he was under investigation for an inappropriate relationship with a tenant.

On Wednesday, Burton responded to the claims in the lawsuit, calling it a “witch hunt,” according to the Charlotte Observer.