AMC now says texting in theaters won’t happen due to backlash

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AMC Entertainment released a statement Friday saying that texting will not be allowed in any of its theaters, despite recent talk of designated auditoriums for people who do not want to turn off their phones.

The company released the statement after customers rejected the idea.

“Unlike many of the AMC advancements that you have applauded, we have heard loud and clear that this is a concept our audience does not want,” AMC Chief Executive Officer, Adam Aron wrote.

Previously Adams said the company was considering the move in order to appeal to more millennials.

“When you tell a 22-year-old to turn off the phone, don’t ruin the movie, they hear please cut off your left arm above the elbow. You can’t tell a 22-year-old to turn off their cellphone. That’s not how they live their life,” he said in an interview with Variety.

Twitter users immediately lashed out at the mere mention of “text-friendly” and “movie theater”: