Closings and delays

Local resident called a hero after saving wife, kids from house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GRAHAM, N.C. -- Graham firefighters are calling a local resident a hero after witnesses said he saved his wife and their three children from their burning home Monday morning.

Captain Mike Melvin said firemen arrived at 400 Walker Ave. around 4:30 a.m.

They were told that the man who lived inside had woken up to smoke and flames coming from the living room. He was able to break through the glass of his bedroom window, pull out his wife and child, and then run to the back of the house to do the same thing for his other two kids.

"Being a dad myself, we go to any extent to save our children," Captain Melvin said. "What he did was very heroic. He not only saved himself, but he saved his wife and his children. He's definitely a hero."

Melvin said the man, whose name has not yet been released, suffered lacerations to his arm from breaking the windows, resulting in significant blood loss.

Melvin said he was airlifted to the hospital, as was his wife, who suffered smoke inhalation.

Melvin said he had not gotten an update on the victims' conditions since they arrived at the hospital, but was told that all three children are fine.

Melvin said the fire caused considerable damage to the home. He said the fire may have been electrical in nature, noting that space heaters could have caused a strain on the electrical system.