After overindulging during the holidays, it may be time to lighten up a little on your diet.
We’re showing you ways to cut some calories and fat from your favorite meals, without sacrificing flavor.
Meredith Williams with Pepper Moon Catering gave us some great recipes to try for dinner tonight.
Lemon Chicken “Pasta”
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 zucchini
- 1 tsp + 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 T fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- 1.5 cups heavy cream
- 1 fresh lemon, quartered
- 2 T ghee, coconut oil, or canola oil
- 3 chicken breasts, raw
- Shave the squash into a bowl using a potato peeler, basically creating thin long ribbons. Once you hit the seeds, stop and discard the center of the squashes.
- Toss with 1 tsp garlic, 3 cracks of lemon pepper seasoning and and 1fresh chopped tbsp parsley. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized frying pan add 1/2 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Once boiling, add 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, 2 tsp minced garlic and a lemon (quartered) and let simmer for 5-10 minutes on low until reduced in half. Stir frequently. When done, set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat up some ghee (I like OMGhee) or coconut oil. If you prefer neither of these, you can use canola oil.
- Slice chicken breasts into strips. Sautee in oil until cooked through.
- Remove the lemons from the reduced cream mixture and add the chicken into it and let reduce some more on low.
- In the pan you used to cook the chicken, add the squash noodles and cook on medium 5-10 minutes until soft and a translucent, but still crisp.
- Add the cream sauce with chicken into the noodles and cook for another 1 minutes while mixing together.
Makes 4-6 servings.
Dijon Rosemary Pork Tenderloin
- 1 package pork tenderloin, using only one tenderloin (save the other tenderloin for Salsa Pork Tenderloin with Peppers and Onions)
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- Mix olive oil, Dijon, Worcestershire, garlic and rosemary in a medium bowl. Put 1/3 mix in a small bowl to save for later.
- Warm frying pan on medium heat.
- Trim pork tenderloin and slice into medallions.
- Add the medallions to the Dijon rosemary blend and toss.
- Spray pan with Pam and place the medallions in the pan.
- Cook on one side until sides are white, turnover and cook for 3 – 5 minutes until done.
Makes 6 servings.
- Lunch – spread the Dijon rosemary sauce on the inside of pita bread. Place the cooled pork with baby spinach in the pocket and enjoy!
- Dinner – Serve the pork after cooked with any starch and vegetable or salad.
Oven Fried Chicken with Almonds
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ Cup Finely chopped almonds
- 2 T Chopped parsley
- 1 t Salt
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced or crushed
- ¼ t Dried Thyme
- Pinch Ground Pepper
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Lbs. Boneless, Skinless, Chicken Breast
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, cheese, almonds, parsley, garlic, salt, thyme and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
3. Wash the chicken, dry, and rub the olive oil on each side.
4. Dredge the chicken in the crumb mixture and place in a shallow baking pan.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Do no turn the chicken during cooking.
We used lower fat Parmesan cheese, ½ teaspoon salt, and a lot less Olive oil to reduce the counts to what is listed below. Also, buy the jar of minced garlic to make it easier. About 1 teaspoon is equal to a clove.
First, you can select about any vegetable you would like, but we like:
- 2 yellow squash, coarsely cut
- 1 zucchini, coarsely cut
- 1 red pepper, coarsely cut
- 1 bunch of asparagus, 2” spears
- 1 pack of button mushrooms, washed and dried
- 3 T olive oil
- 1 T garlic, minced
- 2 T chopped fresh herbs of any choice, or 1.5 T chopped dried herbs
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Toss all together and spread onto sprayed sheet pan.
Roast on 500 degrees until golden and starting to brown
Makes 6+ servings.
- 1 – 2 bunches of fresh asparagus, large ends trimmed off
- 1 saute pan to hold all asparagus, filled with 1” of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh or bottled lemon juice
- 1 T butter
Heat water to boiling and add all ingredients except asparagus.
Allow to simmer.
Simmer for 2-3 minutes until desired texture.
Makes 4+ servings.