Neighbors try to rescue family during Greensboro apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- A mother and her three children trapped inside a smoke-filled apartment – their cries for help heard by neighbors several doors down.

"It's still in my head now. I can still hear her screaming,” Kristie Teague said.

Teague, one of the residents of Ray Warren Homes on Baron Walk Street in Greensboro, was in her kitchen around 2 p.m. Sunday when she noticed smoke coming from a nearby apartment.

“I immediately dialed 911,” Teague said.

When she was on the phone with the operator, the screams grew more intense and that’s when Teague screamed for other neighbors to help.

Teague’s boyfriend along with Dontay Sutton tried to open the front door.

"My boyfriend was calling out to her, open the door, open the door, she was like we can't,” Teague said.

Sutton climbed a nearby pipe attached to the building to get on top of the apartment’s porch roof and break a window on the second floor.

"Adrenaline just kicked in I guess, I ripped the whole frame off,” Sutton said.

Sutton says the smoke was too heavy to go inside and by that time the screams had stopped.

"I didn't know where to go. I could have gone off voices if they kept talking to me, but I couldn't, I couldn't,” he said.

Fire crews were able to rescue all family members.

The mother was rescued through the second story window, two children were rescued through the back of the residence, and one child was brought down stairs.

All were taken to the hospital for observation.

As parents, neighbors say the incident struck a nerve.

"I looked at it like this, if it was my kids, I would have done the same thing,” Sutton said.

"I don't believe in sitting there watching. If I could have gone in there, I would have gone in there,” he said.