Update — D.C. police say that the police activity near the Washington Navy Yard is “all clear” after someone reported hearing shots fired at the facility Thursday morning.
WASHINGTON — Washington D.C.’s Navy Yard facility — the site of a 2013 shooting where 12 people were killed — is on lockdown.
So far, officials haven’t found any evidence of a shooting, a law enforcement source told CNN.
Police are searching building 197, the same building where the 2013 Navy Yard shooting took place, a source with DC’s Metropolitan Police Department told CNN. Police have cleared part of that building, according to the same law enforcement source.
The source said the original 911 call reported a shooting on the second floor. The source confirmed that the Metropolitan Police and multiple law enforcement agencies are checking for a person with a gun in the building.
The U.S. Navy says the facility is under a shelter-in-place order.
Navy Commander Scott Williams, who was at the Navy Yard on Thursday morning and during the attack two years ago, told CNN’s “New Day” that the scene unfolding around the complex was “pretty much a mirror image of 2013.”
Naval Architect Jordan Rongers told CNN that the response and evacuation are “pretty much the same thing as [what] happened three years ago, but I think the response has been much better,” citing better protocols and security.
In a preventative measure, officials closed Pennsylvania Avenue in front of the White House. A law enforcement official said the move is a standard security precaution in light of the potential Navy Yard incident under investigation.
A defense official said the Pentagon has not raised its security posture on the Pentagon complex in reaction to the situation at Navy Yard, but they are keeping a close eye on what is going on.
Bystanders are tweeting photos of the scene though official details on the incident are still scarce.