CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- Opening statements are expected Monday in the Aurora theater shooting trial, 1,011 days after a gunman burst into the Century Aurora 16 Multiplex Theater and opened fire.
Attorneys for James Holmes have said their client committed the crimes, but he has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity.
Holmes is facing 166 charges of killing 12 people and injuring 70 others in the July 20, 2012, shooting during a midnight showing of the Batman film, "The Dark Knight Rises."
Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.
After numerous delays, opening statements will begin Monday at the Arapahoe County Justice Center after a last-minute defense motion to change the venue was denied last week by Judge Carlos Carlos Samour Jr.
With dozens of people expected to testify, the trial is expected to last months. Among those testifying will be the family of injured victim Caleb Medley, who don't want revenge, only justice.
"I want to hold him accountable," said Medley's father, Otis Medley. "I would not be in his shoes facing God."
The trial could run into September.
Those who died were: Jonathan Blunk, 26; A.J. Boik, 18; Jesse Childress, 29; Gordon Cowden, 51; Jessica Ghawi, 24; John Larimer, 27; Matt McQuinn, 27; Micayla Medek, 23, Veronica Moser-Sullivan, 6; Alex Sullivan, 27; Alex Teves, 24; Rebecca Wingo, 31.