2 juveniles charged over potential violence at Atkins High School

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. -- Earlier this month, the Winston-Salem Police Department and Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Schools jointly initiated an investigation into threats of potential violence at Atkins High School.

The investigation was initiated on April 10. At this point, two juveniles have been charged with criminal offenses related to the investigation, police said Monday.

The announcement came within hours of a voicemail received by Atkins High School parents from the principal about the situation.

“We understand you may have questions but federal and state law do not allow us to talk about specific discipline actions or legal actions taken against students and juveniles,” said Joe Childers through the voicemail.

Sheila Virgil, who has a son at Atkins, received both the voicemail and a text two weeks ago about the response to the potential threat. The text came on the same day as she heard about the potential for violence from her son.

“I feel like they did a good job in keeping the parents informed,” said Virgil. “They let us know what they were going to do right away and what they were going to do about it.”

Virgil’s son went to school the next day.

Students at Atkins said they felt good with an increased police presence in response to the initial threat in early April. They said they haven’t felt like there’s been a danger at the school since.

The investigation is still ongoing.

The Winston-Salem Police Department asks that anyone with information relevant to this matter contact the police department at (336) 773-7700.