Sign up now to get FOX8 headlines delivered right to your inbox

Fire at Wheatmore High School started after e-cigarette overheated, deputies say

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

RANDOLPH COUNTY, N.C. — Deputies said a fire at Wheatmore High School on Thursday was started after an electric cigarette overheated.

The fire started in the boy’s locker room after the “Hookah Pen” overheated and ignited, burning a book-bag and its contents, according to deputies.

It started at about 3 p.m., temporarily evacuating teachers and students. They were there for a makeup snow day.

Guil-Rand firefighters quickly had the situation under control. No injuries were reported. The locker room where it started is away from the classrooms.

Damage to the locker room was estimated at about $4,000, according to the Randolph County Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators plan to consult with Randolph County District Attorney’s Office to determine if charges will be filed.