Greensboro home catches fire while family cooks Thanksgiving meal

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- A home in Greensboro went up in flames Wednesday evening as the family was cooking food for their Thanksgiving meal.

Firefighters responded to the house at 2110 Carpenter Street around 7:25 p.m.

A grandmother, a mother and a 10-month-old baby were inside the house at the time of the fire and were able to escape safely.

Officials say the fire started in the kitchen where the family had been cooking their Thanksgiving dinner.

No injuries were reported.

The fire was extinguished and a few hours later, the fire rekindled around 11:30 p.m. while the family was heading to Maryland.

Flames spread through the attic and destroyed the roof. The house is considered a total loss, officials say.

The family will be able to stay at a place made available by friends when they return from their trip.