Second Rockingham County precinct official removed
WENTWORTH, N.C. — A second precinct official was removed from his appointment by the Rockingham County Board of Elections late Monday afternoon, according to the Greensboro News & Record.
Stewart Gregg, an assistant for the New Bethel precinct, wrote a letter to the editor slamming President Barack Obama, which was published in Sunday’s News & Record.
State law requires the people who hold precinct positions to be impartial and strictly forbids them from public displays of partisan behavior.
Gregg’s letter told voters not to choose liberal candidates on the ballot. He also called President Obama “the most liberal and most disqualified individual to hold that office.”
“I didn’t write anything that wasn’t true and as a former combat veteran I am concerned about my country,” Gregg said.
Gregg, who lives in Madison, has served as a poll worker since the Reagan era.
This is the second time the board has removed a precinct official over a letter to the editor.
Last week, Janice Wangard, the Lincoln precinct judge, was removed after writing a letter to the editor. Her letter said Democrats are “not friends” of the poor, Hispanics or women.
The board appointed people to fill both roles prior to Tuesday.