Cigarette blamed for fire that left NC woman in critical condition

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CRAMERTON, N.C. – Authorities said a cigarette is to blame for a house fire that left a North Carolina woman in critical condition.

WSOC-TV reported that a newspaper delivery driver in Cramerton noticed the fire and called 911 around 11:30 p.m. Monday.

Firefighters said they found the woman collapsed in the entry way of her bedroom. She is believed to have been trying to escape the heavy smoke.

Firefighters pulled the woman out of the burning home, where medics resuscitated her, according to WSOC-TV.

She was then flown by helicopter to the hospital in critical condition, according to officials.

Officials said an improperly discarded cigarette caused the woman’s bedroom to catch fire.

No one else was in the home, but her dog died in the fire.

The fire chief stressed the importance of properly discarding smoking material. He also commended the department for their quick response, and the driver for being alert.

“It’s very important for situational awareness. In this neighborhood the houses are real close together so seconds matter,” said Cramerton Fire Department Chief Lance Foulk.